Flu season is definitely upon us and I recently stopped by Arise TV to discuss what you need to know about the deadly flu virus. Not everyone is aware of how dangerous the influenza virus really can be. Every year, the flu causes hospitalizations, serious health complications, and even death.
Here are some basic and important points about the flu that you should know:
1. It is an infectious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses.
2. It’s spread through respiratory secretions.
2. Common symptoms include fever, body aches, and extreme lethargy.
3. The flu vaccine is recommended for everyone older than 6 months of age.
4. There is a popular myth that getting the flu vaccine will make you sick and give you the flu. This is NOT possible since the vaccine itself is made from an inactivated or killed virus.
5. You must maintain good hand hygiene practices (i.e. wash your hands frequently) to avoid the spread of germs during flu season.
6. Flu viruses are constantly changing and mutating, so the vaccine efficacy can be compromised.
7. H3N2 is the strain causing severe illness this flu season.
8. Though preliminary data shows that this year’s flu vaccine may not be as effective, there still is benefit in obtaining a flu shot.
9. If you haven’t received your flu shot yet, it is highly recommeneded you do so. It’s not too late to obtain it at this point into the flu season.